Thursday 1 April 2010

The Gossip Diet


Could you go a week without gossiping?
See what happens when four girls agree to stop their chatter for seven days


Gossip Diet Was the title of one of the episodes of the well known Racheal Ray talk show . Four simple and nice girlfriends were trying to rid themselves from this habit for the sake of only changing a bad habit !

When I watched and listened to these girls , I felt that it was a very nice gesture of them to do it , they set rules and conditions for gossiping like to ask yourself four questions before talking about someone  "Is it true, is it kind , is it timely and is it necessary ?

Also , I have to admit that I felt such a shame !!

Gossip as mentioned here takes the meaning of " backbiting " in its Islamic sense . Backbiting means to talk behind people back about what they hate to be seen or known by others by following their defects and weaknesses . For me , It's such an ugly digusting thing . I feel sick when I'm supposed to sit with or around a punch of gossipers in the class or in the cafeteria or any where . I always tell my group to Inform me as soon as they feel like gossiping so I take myself out of it or to just shut them up ( which I always do ) in a merry way so they do not hate me .

Just to remind my friends of the verse we all know , 

{ قال تعالى { وَلَا يَغْتَب بَّعْضُكُم بَعْضاً أَيُحِبُّ أَحَدُكُمْ أَن يَأْكُلَ لَحْمَ أَخِيهِ مَيْتاً فَكَرِهْتُمُوهُ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ تَوَّابٌ رَّحِيمٌ

[And do not spy or backbite each other. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his brother when dead? You would detest it. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is Accepting of repentance and Merciful.](Quran, 49:13) 

And to have us ask ourselves these questions :

Do we like other people to talk about our weaknesses ?
Have you ever seen yourself doing it ? if not , ask someone to film you!
And what else do the Gossip Diet girls have and we lack ?

No comments: